MS 20532 – Developing Microsoft Azure Solutions
Module 5: Designing Cloud Applications for Resiliency
As a developer, you should keep in mind certain considerations while designing applications for the cloud. Although there are many platform improvements available in the ASP.NET ecosystem, you need to rethink the way you design your applications, and the patterns that are used, with respect to the scalability and reliability metrics present for the cloud applications. Lesson 1, Application Design Practices for Highly Available Applications, discusses some of the considerations that are needed when you design applications that are hosted in the cloud such that they result in minimal downtime. Lesson 2, Building High Performance Applications by Using ASP.NET, describes the changes in the ASP.NET stack in .NET 4.5 that improve the framework’s performance in web applications. Lesson 3, Common Cloud Application Patterns, introduces a small set of example patterns from the MSDN cloud patterns reference. Lesson 4, Application Analytics, demonstrates the Application Insights service. Lesson 5, Caching Application Data, compares the Microsoft Azure Cache and Microsoft Azure Redis Cache services.
- Application Design Practices for Highly Available Applications
- Application Analytics
- Building High Performance Applications by Using ASP.NET
- Common Cloud Application Patterns
- Caching Application Data
After completing this module, you will be able to:
- Describe the Valet Key, Retry and Transient Fault Handling Patterns
- Use Load Balancing in a geographically redundant application
- Create modular applications with partitioned workloads
- Build High Performance ASP.NET Web Applications
About this Course
This course is intended for students who have experience building ASP.NET and C# applications. Students will also have experience with the Microsoft Azure platform and a basic understanding of the services offered.
This course offers students the opportunity to take an existing ASP.NET MVC application and expand its functionality as part of moving it to Azure. This course focuses on the considerations necessary when building a highly available solution in the cloud. This course also prepares the students for the 70-532: Developing Microsoft Azure Solutions certification exam.
The candidates targeted by this training have basic experience in implementing and monitoring Microsoft Azure solutions. Candidates are also proficient with the development tools, techniques, and approaches used to build application solutions.
At Course Completion
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- – Compare the services available in the Azure platform.
- – Configure and deploy web applications.
- – Creating Azure Web Apps from the gallery.
- – Deploying and monitoring Azure Web Apps.
- – Creating and configuring Azure Virtual Machines.
- – Create and manage a storage account.
- – Manage blobs and containers in a storage account.
- – Create, configure and connect to a SQL Databases instance.
- – Identify the implications of importing a SQL standalone database.
- – Manage users, groups and subscriptions in an Azure Active Directory instance.
- – Create a virtual network.
- – Implement a point-to-site network.
In addition to their professional experience, students must have experience working with the Azure platform. They will also have a general understanding of C# concepts for the lab scenario. Candidates experience can include:
- – Compare the services available in the Azure platform
- – Configure and deploy web applications
- – Creating Azure Web Apps from the gallery
- – Deploying and monitoring Azure Web Apps
- – Creating and configuring Azure Virtual Machines
- – Create and manage a storage account
- – Manage blobs and containers in a storage account
- – Create, configure, and connect to a SQL Databases instance
- – Identify the implications of importing a SQL standalone database
- – Manage users, groups, and subscriptions in an Azure Active Directory instance
- – Create a virtual network
- – Implement a point-to-site network
- 1 Module 1: Overview of the Microsoft Azure Platform Preview
- 2 Module 2: Building Application Infrastructure in Azure Preview
- 3 Module 3: Hosting Web Applications on the Azure Platform Preview
- 4 Module 4: Storing SQL Data in Azure Preview
- 5 Module 5: Designing Cloud Applications for Resiliency Preview
- 6 Module 6: Storing Tabular Data in Azure Preview
- 7 Module 7: Storing and Consuming Files from Azure Storage Preview
- 8 Module 8: Designing a Communication Strategy by Using Queues and Service Bus Preview
- 9 Module 9: Automating Integration with Azure Resources Preview
- 10 Module 10: Securing Azure Web Applications Preview