MS 20532 – Developing Microsoft Azure Solutions
Module 4: Storing SQL Data in Azure
Dynamic web applications must store the data that is being managed and manipulated by end users. ASP.NET technologies such as ADO.NET and Entity Framework provide a way for accessing data in SQL Server. In the cloud, the Microsoft Azure platform provides a database as a service offering that allows developers to use SQL in the same way as they would in an on-premises location. Lesson 1, Azure SQL Database Overview, describes the Azure SQL Database service and reasons you would consider using it. Lesson 2, Managing SQL Databases in Azure, describes the familiar and new management tools that are available for use with a SQL database that is hosted in Azure. Lesson 3, Azure SQL Database Tools, describes the SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT) templates, panes, and projects that are available in Microsoft Visual Studio 2013. Lesson 4, Securing and Recovering an Azure SQL Database Instance, describes the recovery scenarios relevant in Azure SQL Database.
- Storing SQL Data in Azure
- Managing SQL Databases in Azure
- Azure SQL Database Tools
- Securing and Recovering an Azure SQL Database Instance
Lab: Storing Event Data in Azure SQL Databases
After completing this module, you will be able to:
- Describe the difference between Azure SQL Database editions.
- Explain some of the advantages and disadvantages of hosting databases in Azure SQL Database.
- Explain some of the advantages and disadvantages of hosting databases in a SQL Server installation on a virtual machine in Azure.
- Describe the tools that you can use to manage Azure SQL Database.
- Implement a high-availability solution with Azure SQL Database.
About this Course
This course is intended for students who have experience building ASP.NET and C# applications. Students will also have experience with the Microsoft Azure platform and a basic understanding of the services offered.
This course offers students the opportunity to take an existing ASP.NET MVC application and expand its functionality as part of moving it to Azure. This course focuses on the considerations necessary when building a highly available solution in the cloud. This course also prepares the students for the 70-532: Developing Microsoft Azure Solutions certification exam.
The candidates targeted by this training have basic experience in implementing and monitoring Microsoft Azure solutions. Candidates are also proficient with the development tools, techniques, and approaches used to build application solutions.
At Course Completion
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- – Compare the services available in the Azure platform.
- – Configure and deploy web applications.
- – Creating Azure Web Apps from the gallery.
- – Deploying and monitoring Azure Web Apps.
- – Creating and configuring Azure Virtual Machines.
- – Create and manage a storage account.
- – Manage blobs and containers in a storage account.
- – Create, configure and connect to a SQL Databases instance.
- – Identify the implications of importing a SQL standalone database.
- – Manage users, groups and subscriptions in an Azure Active Directory instance.
- – Create a virtual network.
- – Implement a point-to-site network.
In addition to their professional experience, students must have experience working with the Azure platform. They will also have a general understanding of C# concepts for the lab scenario. Candidates experience can include:
- – Compare the services available in the Azure platform
- – Configure and deploy web applications
- – Creating Azure Web Apps from the gallery
- – Deploying and monitoring Azure Web Apps
- – Creating and configuring Azure Virtual Machines
- – Create and manage a storage account
- – Manage blobs and containers in a storage account
- – Create, configure, and connect to a SQL Databases instance
- – Identify the implications of importing a SQL standalone database
- – Manage users, groups, and subscriptions in an Azure Active Directory instance
- – Create a virtual network
- – Implement a point-to-site network
- 1 Module 1: Overview of the Microsoft Azure Platform Preview
- 2 Module 2: Building Application Infrastructure in Azure Preview
- 3 Module 3: Hosting Web Applications on the Azure Platform Preview
- 4 Module 4: Storing SQL Data in Azure Preview
- 5 Module 5: Designing Cloud Applications for Resiliency Preview
- 6 Module 6: Storing Tabular Data in Azure Preview
- 7 Module 7: Storing and Consuming Files from Azure Storage Preview
- 8 Module 8: Designing a Communication Strategy by Using Queues and Service Bus Preview
- 9 Module 9: Automating Integration with Azure Resources Preview
- 10 Module 10: Securing Azure Web Applications Preview